Practice will begin on Wednesday, January 20 and will be held at the San Marcos High School track. Practice days and times are noted in the table below.
K-2: Monday & Thursday
3- 8: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday
Time: 4:00 – 6:00* (*light permitting and time change)
Location: San Marcos High School
- There will be a parent meeting on the two days of signup, Tuesday (January 12) or Thursday (January 14). Parents do not need to come to both signup days.
- Practices will be held unless it is raining (a light sprinkle doesn’t count). If the weather is questionable or you have any doubts then please check email first or call Coach Darlene at 805-722-5249. Email will be first notification of cancelled practice and should be no later than 3:30. Please do not drop off your athlete without confirmation if the weather looks questionable.
- Athletes need to be at practice on time and ready to go so they can participate in the warm-up and stretching period at the beginning of each practice. Parents should be punctual so athletes are picked up promptly at the conclusion of practice. It is expected that athletes will come to practice ready to work and learn.
Each practice will be structured as follows:
- Warm ups and stretching
- Events/conditioning training (typically 3 events) for each practice
- Cool down/stretching
- Clean up / put away / athlete pick up
The first two weeks of practice will be used to assess the number of kids, their ages and interest, and abilities. All athletes will be cycled through all events, except K – 2nd grade for long distance running, to expose these young athletes to the various track and field disciplines. Practices will be structured.